Hon (Dr.) Bello Mohammed Matawalle was born on the 12th day of February 1969. His father is Alhaji Muhammad Sharu of Maradun, while his mother is Hajiya Safiya Magaji the daughter of Magajin Garin Maradun. He hails from Maradun town in Maradun Local Government Area of Zamfara State.
He started his educational career at Township Primary school Maradun; from there he proceeded to the Vocational Training Centre Bunza in the present day Kebbi-State. Thereafter, he attended the Federal Technical College Yaba-Lagos and then Tafawa Balewa University Bauchi (for a Distance learning programme) where he bagged an Advanced Diploma in Business Management. He attended the Thames Valley University London, (Advance Management for Senior Government Officials). He was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Philosophy in Public Administration from Carolina University, United States of America in the year 2003. He taught at the following schools to mention but a few:
- Government Girls Secondary School Raba 1989-1990
- Government Girls Secondary School Kotorkoshi 1990-1992
- Government Girls Secondary School Talata-Mafara 1992-1993
- Government Girls School Moriki 1993
In the year 1993, he got an appointment into the Federal Ministry of Water Resources Abuja where he served up till the year 1996. He resigned his appointment with the ministry and went into politics in the year 1996 where he contested for a seat of the House of Representatives under the UNCP. He went back into business and became hugely successful in his business undertakings.
In the year 1999, he went back into politics and contested for the Chairman of Maradun Local Government area under the All Peoples Party (APP). He was then called to serve the government at the state level. He served at various levels of the Zamfara State government where he brought his vast experience to bear, which includes:
- Commissioner for Chieftaincy and Local Government Affairs.
- Commissioner for Rural Development and Cooperatives.
- Commissioner for Environment and Solid Minerals.
- Commissioner for Youth & Sports.
- Executive Chairman Youth Empowerment.
He served at the various positions enumerated between 1999 and 2003 before contesting the seat for the House of Representatives of the Federal Republic of Nigeria in the year 2003, where he won the Bakura/Maradun Federal Constituency ticket.
While in the House of Representatives between 2003-2007, he was made the Chairman House committee on Ethics & Privileges. Under his chairmanship, he improved and strengthened the House Code of Conduct as well as enforcement. He sponsored and supported various Bills and Motions on the floor of the National Assembly.
In the year 2007 he re-contested and was returned by his constituents into the House of Representatives where he held sway as the Deputy Minority Whip of the 6th Assembly, whilst also promulgating useful Bills in the parliament.
He contributed immensely to his constituency such as the following:
- Award of Scholarship to Bakura and Maradun University students;
- Sinking of Boreholes to Bakura & Maradun Local Government Areas;
- Construction of silo grain storage facilities in Bakura and Maradun LGAs;
- Construction of Medical centre/Clinic in Gama Giwa Maradun LGA;
- Provided motorcycles & cars for unemployed youths as means of livelihood;
- Assisted widows and women by providing food, clothing and cash gifts;
- Numerous poverty alleviation projects;
- Provision of street lights to parts of Bakura/Maradun constituencies.
As a man of the people who has won the love and admiration of many by facilitating the actualisation of the dreams of many, he was re-elected for a 3rd term in 2011 into the National Assembly to represent his constituency. He served as the Chairman of the House of Representative Committee on National Security, Intelligence & Public Safety. He worked in various committees of the House of Representatives.
He has been awarded many traditional titles including Matawallen Maradun (The Prince of Maradun), Magayakin Zamfara (The Front Warrior of Zamfara), Barden Hausa, Danmadamin Talata-Mafara, Sarkin Kudun-Bwari, Tafidan Kwali, among others.
Governor Bello Mohammed is a detribalised Nigerian, quintessential gentleman, steady and efficient mobiliser of human & capital resources, courageous reformer, an astute administrator and above all a patriotic Nigerian.